Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Appeasing the ADD

OK, so I finally caved and started working on something 40k. Since Dawn of War 2 released I have been loving every minute of the single player campaign. I have been enjoying it so much....I am going to scrap the Ultramarines and go with the Blood Ravens as my Codex Chapter for play in Warhammer 40k.

My Inspiration! My Marines are too uppity to walk, so I need to get a transport for them first.

I had an old rhino laying around my bits bin, so I went and primed the sucker up. I did the interior white and the exterior black.

The interior is assembled (I also added the front plating to help the rhino keep its shape).

The actual colors for the Blood Ravens is a dark red and bone white color. I washed the interior of the rhino and the inner rhino doors with black to try and get the bone white affect without having to hand paint everything. I'm not going for a golden daemon here...I just want it to look nice and people will be able to see inside since I am magnetizing all of the doors.

As you can see there is a lot left to do. I need to find my tiny magnets and I am not really sure where I left them. I want to be able to just buy specialized sprues for my rhinos like the predator sprue and just pull a couple of doors off and and put a couple different ones on and go from transport to tank (if you aren't familiar with marines, 5 different vehicles all use the rhino chasis in construction).

Monday, February 23, 2009

Quick Update

I have been lazy in my painting lately, mainly because I have gotten a good ways ahead of where I need to be in painting for league play. The main reason I joined the painting league was for some focus, but now without any pressure I am working on 10 different things at once again..not really completing anything.

So on to the update!

2 Units of cannon-fodder good to go!

8/12 ain't so bad! My warriors need a final pass and basing, the other 4 were not quite ready for highlights yet.

My new Disc of Tzeentch. My first real go at sculpting, and it turned out very 'meh'. Wanted it to be somewhat organic since the previous disc attempt looked very sterile and boring.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My 500 points are painted

and then some...

I managed to get my 500pt list and the extra hero done. The only thing I needed to complete since my last post was another set of 5 marauder horsemen. I will try to take a picture of all the painted stuff together soon.

Since the mandatory stuff was out of the way, I started doing my favorite part of miniature painting...test paints. It's only really brutal when you do 3 or 4 and still are not happy with your paint scheme, speaking of which I have yet to find a scheme I like for my bloodletters (Chaos Daemons).

I decided for bigger games that I will use a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch as my lord. I will probably wait for the new plastic model to be released before I put a great deal of effort in, but for now I have an older fantasy daemon prince which is getting some paint. I will throw a couple of pictures up when I am done, but the base coat of ice blue washed with asurmen blue looks fantastic.

The other test paint I worked on was a Nurgle-marked warrior of chaos. Let me know what you guys think.

I haven't based it yet, but I am thinking the front rank will have lots of snow with less and less the further back in ranks you get.